Monday, August 16, 2010

Missionary Monday - Continue On

My friend Angela, also a missionary's wife, sent me this beautiful encouragement today called "Continue On:"

A woman once fretted over the usefulness of her life. She feared she was wasting her potential being a devoted wife and mother. She wondered if the time and energy she invested in her husband and children would make a difference.

At times she got discouraged because so much of what she did seemed to go unnoticed and unappreciated. "Is it worth it?" she often wondered. "Is there something better that I could be doing with my time?"

It was during one of these moments of questioning that she heard the still small voice of her heavenly Father speak to her heart. "You are a wife and mother because that is what I have called you to be. Much of what you do is hidden from the public eye. But I notice. Most of what you give is done without remuneration. But I am your reward. Your husband cannot be the man I have called him to be without your support. Your influence upon him is greater than you think and more powerful than you will ever know. I bless him through your service and honor him through your love. Your children are precious to Me. Even more precious than they are to you. I have entrusted them to your care to raise them for Me. What you invest in them is an offering to Me.

You may never be in the public spotlight. But your obedience shines as a bright light before Me. Continue on. Remember that you are My servant. Do all to please Me."
-Roy Lessin
These words were timely. As a young missionary wife who is expecting her fourth child, most of what I do on the mission field is rather mundane. I am afraid you might be rather unimpressed. I do not go out and knock doors from morning to evening, seeking to bring the lost to Him (though I DO get to go on regular visitation as well as serve in the orphanage ministry). I do not prepare beautiful lessons to teach women and children on a regular basis. Even though I get to enjoy taking part in these exciting ministries from time to time, these are not part of my main work. My normal routine actually looks more like this:
Cooking (mostly from scratch).
Washing dishes.
Hanging laundry outside to dry.
Homeschooling.
Washing little hands and faces.
Putting band-aids on "owies."
etc., etc., etc....
Not too impressive, right? However, to reach a world for Christ, I have to start right here in my own home. What good can I do in the world if my own children are neglected and do not know and understand Christ's love? So, while Mr. Missionary (hubby) is out winning the world or preparing another fine sermon, I am contentedly working at home to teach and prepare my own little flock of sheep. And, one day, when the little sheep are a little more grown and less feeble, we will be a much stronger and more effective witness out in the world as a family... a prepared family.
So, little Missionary Mommy, do not be discouraged when you are mopping sticky floors again and hubby is out visiting the lost more often than you get to. Pray for your man, pull your hair back, put on some Christ-honoring music, and enjoy teaching those little ones whom you have been left to care for. Enjoy these moments at home because your time will come soon. Faithfully Continue on in the task God has given you today. Your reward will come when you stand back one day and watch your little sheep following in their daddy's and mommy's footsteps... when you watch your child pray for God to lead them to a lost soul that needs Him. That is the reward I am looking forward to!

16 comments:

  1. Wow Jolene! There are tears on my cheeks as I read this post of yours. This so perfectly sums up how I feel! Hearing it from you is a great encouragement. Thank you for that!!!
    *HUGS* from Chiapas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, Jolene. Thank you for sharing this with me. I love being a wife and mommy, wouldn't trade it for the world! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this! It is beautiful and is a wonderful reminder for all us moms that stay home with our kids (and homeschool too!). We all need hear this every now and then.

    I've been following your blog for awhile now. I really enjoy hearing about your life there. We are following in the Nance's and McDonald's footsteps - that's how I found you. :-) But actually, I came across your blog last year somehow through some homeschooling circle. Funny how that works...God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that this was a blessing to you. -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post was such a sweet blessing to this mommy! Thank you for sharing this!

    I love you!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jolene, I love your posts and I'm grateful for all you do for the cause of Christ so far from home. Completing your husband and raising your children for Christ is such an awesome way to spend your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm Angie's sis-in-law, and also in Brazil. Good thoughts. Hard to remember oft times when the floor is super sticky and all the little mk's are super whiny but true nonetheless!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I really needed that today... I feel the same way sometimes.
    I love you Lady!!
    Talk to you soon

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jolene,
    You are an awesome woman. I am proud to know you and know that the Lord will richly bless you in your life for your service to Him, your family, and the mission's field.
    I spent my night dreaming about all the women who need to have older ladies instructing them in the "Way to go." I have just heard (from them, themselves, not gossip) about two families whose wives have decided that they didn't want to be under their husband's authority, and to be frank, it breaks my heart. Please pray for me as I use scripture to show them the Bible way that they have either not heard, or have shut the Holy Spirit out so they cannot understand the simple truth of "wives love their husbands until death do you part".
    I love you,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true, Jolene! This is great! You will be so surprised at how quickly the time will pass when your little sheep will be on their own and your focus will be on these other things; if it's not on grandchildren! Gail

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very good devotion for ladies. I would love to print it and hand it out to my ladies if I could. Thanks so much for the Continue On encouragement. It isn't just for Mommies it is also for anyone doing what a woman of God should be doing. Thanks. My children are all grown but I still must keep up the everyday unglorified things. But by doing the little things I am still serving our Wonderful Lord and Saviour. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  12. NEVER would I call what you do mundane!!! What you have done for other families adopting there and especially what you did for us is a gift. A true blessing! What you do with the the kids in "your" orphanage is giving them a piece of a family. Memories, love, His word. Any of us mommies could only hope to be like you some day. Touching so many lives. Not just the one or two or even four children that we families come to adopt to be mommies to. You are a true inspiration to me and I have a daughter who wants to be just like you when she grows up!!! How proud that makes me feel! Miss you guys!!
    Nance
    ps say hi to everyone from us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. GrandmaD,

    You are welcome to print this out! I would be glad if you could use it to encourage others!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks I will print this out for all my ladies. I know they will be encouraged by this. THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jolene, this was a great post. Just stopping by to catch up. Been too long. I've tagged you for an award so come by my blog to get it:
    http://vintageterrace2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just found this today; just the encouragement I needed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25