Monday, December 12, 2011

Good News from a Far Country

As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country.  Proverbs 25:25


Growing up in a missions-minded church, I often heard this verse quoted as it pertained to encouraging missionaries.  "Write your missionaries an uplifting letter.  This will help the missionary like cold water quenches the thirst of a man in a desert."

As a teenager, I remember having contests in our youth group, and for each letter we sent to a missionary during that contest, we received points to win a prize.  I wrote letters until my  hands ached, trying to write as many of our 300+ missionaries as possible!  I never accomplished the goal of writing every single one, but I can guarantee you that I showed up to church with a stack of letters to proudly turn in that I had painstakingly spent many hours writing.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, Jolene - that was a great article and an excellent reminder!!

    Love in Him,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made us smile.:)We would love to write you especially knowing that we could get news from a far country.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great article! I look forward to Mondays :)! Now you must encourage missionaries to put their address somewhere on their blogs :)!
    Thank you for the e-mails :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was an excellent post, Jolene! I have never viewed it that way, that we could be in the far country and thirsty souls in America. So true! My dad taught me growing up to respond to every letter I received. However, I must admit, general birthday cards have not always fit in that category for me. But after reading your post, they will from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also encouraged to write more to the people that send us cards. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this! I do try to write cards and letters as much as I can, but I never thought of answering the group birthday cards we get. Also, "as much as I can" really doesn't turn out to be much at times. I should make it more of a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it could never be stressed how important mail is to a missionary!

    Thank you for reminding us all again!

    Love you!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25