Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Replying to comments

Okay, this post is for other bloggers only.  To my other readers, I apologize, but here is a little something for you too....

{Below} This picture was taken last summer at a bus stop, during those few months we did not have a car.  But, you see, we had each other and we had a lot of fun!  Unposed (is that a word?) pictures are always the best.  They show the natural playfulness and love between siblings that you just can't capture when you are asking them to smile at the camera.  After all, a camera is not a person.  Can't you just see the friendship between these two?!
And now, for my blogger friends...  I found a tutorial online that teaches you how to add a "reply to comments" option on your blog if you are using blogger.  Unfortunately, blogger does not come with such an awesome gadget, but there is a way to add it.  Since comments are very important to me and I take each one of them as a sign of love and affection from my awesome readers, I try to answer most of them through e-mail.  But now there is an easier way to do it.  Unfortunately, the commenter will have to go back to your blog to check for your reply, but this is better than nothing.  It also shows your other readers that you care to answer questions, as in the example below:

Two things I need to mention.  First of all, the tutorial is a bit outdated, but the instructions are still relevant.  Secondly, you will have to change your comment location settings (under your Settings tab) to "embedded."  It does not work with a pop-up window or a separate window for comments.  

And, please... anytime you make changes to your HTML, save everything to a Word document before you start making changes.... just in case.

In case you missed it above {smile}, click here for the tutorial.

I really hope that this works for you!  Let me know if it does!

***March 2, 2012 UPDATE***
Just found out that Blogger has recently added this feature.  Click here to read a tutorial on how to activate it.  

16 comments:

  1. Also, something I've been meaning to tell my own readers: instead of coming back to look for answers to my comments on blogs, I usually subscribe to get follow-up comments by email. That might not be convenient on blogs that get huge numbers of comments, but for what I read, it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Jolene! I was wondering how to do this! Love the pic of your daughter and son. So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this, Jolene! I have been wanting to figure out how to do this! Love the picture of your son and daughter! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't get it to work. I did everything, including changing my setting to embed, and it won't work. Any suggestions? BTW, thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Tammy, I'm really sorry it did not work for you. I'm not really sure why it did not work for you but it did for me, so I did a little research and just noticed this post that they added last month http://www.spiceupyourblog.com/2012/01/threaded-comment-replies-blogger-blogs.html

      Apparently Blogger has recently added this function, but you just have to know how to activate it. This link that I have shared tells you how to do it.

      Delete
  5. What a precious photo! It captures SO much. Those are my favorite kind. And I like how little your girlie looks. With her big, dark eyes and her long, long hair, sometimes she looks a lot older in her pictures. There, she just looks little. Don't you wish they could stay that way a little longer? :)

    I'll have to come back and fidgit with that tutorial when I have more time and more brain power. I tried discus for awhile, but it got to be too frustrating. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy!

      Your comments about that picture mean a lot since I highly value your photography skills. Sometimes I just drool over your pics.

      And yes… she does tend to look like a big girl in her pictures, and yes, she is growing way too fast!!! I love all of her little girlie traits and don’t want them to go away!

      Delete
  6. awww that picture is the most sweetest thing ever!!! <3 <3 <3

    (thx for adding that!! :)))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just changed mine over to the new feature on Blogger a few weeks ago, and I LOVE it! I'd never had a lot of success replying to comments via email because so many people had their settings on No Reply. So I would just go into my comments and answer them in another comment of my own. This new feature makes it much easier to just reply right below the comment.

    Sweet picture of your kiddos! I remember my two boys walking with their arms around each other when they were little. Sweet times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually noticed it on your blog first and wondered how you got it, and that tutorial was a result of my search! So, thanks for being my inspiration, Susan! :o)

      Delete
  8. Thanks!! I was wondering how to do that! And the picture is darling! I love how you are editing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You so much for this! I had NO idea it was possible to reply to EACH comment! I usually answer in the comments section and try to respond to each person... this will make it so much easier and more personal :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome! But it is actually easier than I posted about. After I posted, I found this link: http://www.spiceupyourblog.com/2012/01/threaded-comment-replies-blogger-blogs.html that explains that Blogger has already added this feature. You just have to know how to activate it, and that is included in the link.

      Three cheers for Blogger!!!

      Delete
    2. I'm loving this! :-) I actually followed the links you posted and found the "easier" way. I am a little scared of diving into the html :-) The last time I did that I deleted my signature and not have a cute, little red "x" at the end of every post, lol

      Delete
  10. I often reply in blogger comments and with the exact same response to an email. That way others can see I'm replying and see the answers, and the person who commented will be sure to get the reply as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish there was a way that blogger would send the reply in an email like I get when someone comments. That way the person knows I replied.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25