Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Goodness from the Holy Land

We spent one lazy day in an orange orchard, picking and eating all of the oranges we wanted.  There were oranges all around our feet, literally rotting because there were so many and no one was taking them.  Too bad I can't fill a suitcase with these sweet, sticky beauties straight from the tree. {sigh}
Speaking of filling suitcases, that is exactly what we are doing right now.  Many of you have been asking when we return to Ukraine, and the answer is "in 4 days!"  As much as we love it here, Ukraine is our home and we soooo look forward to returning.  Our imminent return soon is also why my posts have picked up in frequency lately.  With all of my good intentions to post more often during our 3 months here, I quickly fell back into my comfort zone... my 1.4 posts a week.  What can I say?  I guess I am just a creature of habit.  {And really, who wants to spend their entire lives sitting behind a computer?} 
But, I also had so, so very much to share with you.  I will do a few more posts about Israel, but when we return to Ukraine we will be busier than ever, and this blog will soon return to its original title of "With Love from Ukraine."  If you joined this blog to read the "Tour Israel series," I do hope that you'll stick around to learn all about what we do in Ukraine.  It is an exciting journey we are on, and there is never a moment to yawn around here!
So, for this post I wanted to share one of the things we have been enjoying most of all while being here - the delicious goodness from the soil of the Holy Land.  I'm pretty sure that fruit is sweeter and veggies are tastier because of this blessed land.  Oh, it could just be my imagination, but let me relish in the thought anyway!
This fruit/vegetable market you are seeing is just around the corner from our apartment.  And, we visit it quite often.  In fact, my children even go there by themselves to choose some colorful goodness for me some days.  We are pretty much on a first-name basis with the workers too!  What can I say?  When avocados, fresh cilantro, juicy strawberries, perfectly ripe bananas, luscious-looking bell peppers, etc., etc., etc... are just a few steps away, it is magnetizing!
And can I confess that we have eaten enough guacamole to turn our skin forever green?  Well, maybe not quite, but we are decidedly leaving Israel filled with vitamins that don't come in a bottle!

Secret tip:  A popular sandwich here in Israel consists of sliced boiled eggs, sliced avocados, and sliced tomatoes.  That's it!  No meat, but plenty of protein with the eggs.  We make it with mayonnaise, sometimes add a slice of cheese, and sprinkle some salt on.  A delicious summer sandwich that is light, tasty, and healthy too!  {Now, go try making one... You won't regret it!}

13 comments:

  1. I know you're super busy right now, but just wanted to ask for some prayer. It seems strange to ask, but I know you've just been through some of the same things.... long story short, the government changed our paperwork process and just told us to leave the country for the next two months. We've only been back from furlough one month and the Aarons are on furlough. I know God is in control. He's given such peace, but there are moments when the details and the wondering are overwhelming.
    Thanks for letting me share.
    Patty Sommer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to try that sandwich. Sounds scrumptious.
    Hope you all are doing well.

    Blessings and hugs, Coleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 days!? I can't imagine how excited you must be to go HOME!! Praying for you as you pack up, and head back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Jolene,

    All I have to say about your "Orange" blog is love it, love it, love it, love it!...those darling pictures of Micah should win some kind of contest!

    I was trying to figure out what kind of sandwich to make for my lunch! Now I know!

    Have a safe trip! I'll kinda miss getting news from Israel...definitely an exciting three months!

    I love you, no matter where you are!

    Mom
    Nahum 1:7

    ReplyDelete
  5. EsauyTere HernandezThursday, June 07, 2012

    SUPER DUPER;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable pictures! Tasty looking friuts and vegies too. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is wonderful that God is using ya'll in so many ways. Praying for you and your family. Love ya'll

    ReplyDelete
  8. What adorable pictures!-Jessi

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was such a blessing to keep up on your posts while you are in Israel, but I am soooo happy for you all as you return home to Ukraine. Will be praying for you all! May God bless you and your family!

    In the service of the King,
    Heather
    Is. 6:8

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE the pictures on this post! Sooo sweet! I know you must be overjoyed to go back home :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for you as you head HOME!!!! :) :) :) safe travels My Friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow -- that is amazing!!! It all looks soo delicious!!! :DDD [and so eXcited for you guys!!! I bet you're back in the UK now, but so happy for you all!!! How exciting to be home!!!] Bet ya'll enjoyed your stay in Israel -- wish I could've experienced it with you guys!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your encouraging comments! "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." Proverbs 25:25